Hypnotherapy and Hypnosis
What is Hypnotherapy?
Hypnotherapy is a form of psychotherapy administered by a qualified hypnotherapy practitioner with the aim of creating behavioural, emotional, psychological or physiological change in the client.
It is a very gentle form of therapy that can help you to:
- Connect with your inner resources so that you feel psychologically stronger
- Resolve past hurts / trauma / grief gently
- Feel calmer and more able to deal with stress
- Change troubling behaviours such as over-eating, smoking, excessive drinking, gambling etc.
What is Hypnosis?
Hypnosis is a completely natural state of consciousness. We all experience light hypnosis multiple times throughout the day, for example if you are daydreaming, you are in a light hypnotic state. So there is nothing scary or strange about hypnosis as a state of mind.
Our level of conscious awareness changes all the time. Throughout the day we progress through the various levels of consciousness multiple times, from being highly alert to being in a deeply relaxed state, depending on the activity we are involved in at the time.
Because hypnosis changes the way our brains respond to ideas it is possible to make very powerful change in behaviour, thoughts etc. when in the hypnotic state.
Am I still in control in hypnosis?
Hypnosis is very much like being in a deeply meditative state, so it feels comfortable and non-threatening.
The important thing to remember is that in the hypnotic state you remain completely in control. The process I use begins with a mindful meditation exercise that takes you into hypnosis.“
When in the hypnotic state the client feels very comfortable, very calm and relaxed. And, because the brain responds differently to information in the hypnotic state, and will accept positive suggestions, it is easier to create changes in thoughts, feelings and behaviours than when you are fully alert.
How I use hypnotherapy to create change
· I am an experienced counsellor and hypnotherapist and I will use my counselling skills to get to the heart of your particular issue and discuss with you exactly what it is that you want to address. We will set goals for your session based on what you want to achieve.
· I will then take you into the hypnotic state by encouraging you to follow some simple instructions, such as “allow your breathing to settle into a calm, comfortable rhythm, as you imagine your body becoming very relaxed, just as though you were ready to fall into a deep sleep”. By following the instructions you easily slip into the hypnotic state because your thinking becomes very focussed. (This is just one of many possible methods of inducing an hypnotic state).
· When in this state your mind becomes open to positive suggestions about how you can create the changes you want to create. The therapy is structured using the information you have provided in the counselling session.
What are the benefits of hypnosis?
Whether it is hypnosis for anxiety, or hypnosis for weight loss, or hypnosis for other issues, hypnotherapy is a very powerful form of psychotherapy that creates change within the individual in terms of their perceptions, emotional responses and behaviour.
Psychological counselling is a good way to help you understand your feelings and your behaviour. It can be very effective in helping you unpack the issue and understand why you feel as you do. But, it doesn’t address the deep unconscious drivers of behaviour, so the client can often feel like they have made progress for a while, but then feel they are stuck.
While it is important for the hypnotherapist to understand your individual issue, hypnotherapy does not rely on the conscious analysis of the issue to generate change. Hypnotherapy deals with the deeper unconscious causes of the problem and changes the problematic thoughts / feelings / and behaviour at the unconscious level. It is possible to change your attitude to a particular issue quite quickly using hypnosis, and to change the unconscious core beliefs that shape your behaviour. Therefore, hypnotherapy can help you make real progress in a relatively short amount of time.
Is Hypnotherapy Safe?
Hypnotherapy is a very safe form of psychotherapy if provided by a qualified clinical hypnotherapist. It is important that you choose a therapist that has the requisite skills and experience for the condition that you want to address. Your therapist should also be a member of one of the professional hypnotherapy associations.
Is Hypnotherapy Safe For Children?
Children respond especially well to hypnosis as they generally have wonderful imaginations. Becoming deeply immersed in imagination is an easy way to enter hypnosis, and children are very good at this. When working with children it is really important that they feel comfortable and safe, so I will always take the time to create the right environment for them to respond positively to the therapy.