I am currently offering my clients the choice of in-person or on-line sessions.
While most people prefer face-to-face sessions, hypnotherapy can be effectively provided via Zoom if you would prefer this mode of delivery.
If you are uncertain of how to proceed I also offer a free 30 minute online session so that you can chat with me about your individual needs. You can use the button below to book this session.
Or, you can call me directly on 0409 803 696 to explore how I can help you.
Either way, I look forward to connecting with you to help you make the changes you need to make.
Treating Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) with Hypnotherapy
Can hypnosis help with IBS?
Multiple clinical trials have shown that hypnotherapy can be an effective method of treating the uncomfortable symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
What are the symptoms of IBS?
Irritable Bowel Syndrome has a variety of uncomfortable symptoms and effects.
The physical symptoms include:
- abdominal pain and cramping
- inflammation of the gut wall
- diarrhoea and / or constipation
- nausea and
This condition also is often associated with psychological disorders such as:
- phobias due to fear of being unable to access a toilet
The good news is that specifically targeted hypnotherapy can often relieve these common symptoms.
How can hypnosis help IBS?
The interaction of the brain and the gut can affect our overall physiological and psychological well-being. Known as the brain-gut axis, a bi-directional interaction between the gut and the central nervous system, it plays a vital role in the regulation of digestive processes and gut associated immune function, and helps to modulate both physical and psychological processes.
In gut-directed hypnotherapy suggestions are made that directly impact upon gut-function. These suggestions are designed to create improved control and normalisation of function, while creating a sense of calm that further assists in the relief of symptoms. The carefully crafted hypnosis for IBS suggestions are designed to change the client’s unconscious beliefs around their gut function and to generate physiological change.
The result is an improvement in bowel function and a reduction in the troublesome symptoms of IBS.
Regulation of gut health is affected by cognitive and emotional processes and gut function is potentially negatively impacted by environmental stressors and anxiety.
Research in Australia, the US and the UK has shown that gut-directed hypnotherapy can improve regulation of digestive processes both by directly impacting on gut function through specific hypnotic suggestion, and in reducing overall cognitive and emotional stress and/or anxiety.
If you would like a free 30 minute appointment to discuss your needs just click here.
How does hypnosis help resolve the psychological symptoms of IBS?
As anxiety and depression are a common part of the IBS sufferers experience, specific therapy to reduce these symptoms, is an essential part of this treatment.
This takes two forms:
1. Anxiety / Depression that are not related to the IBS is addressed. This might relate to earlier life experiences that have created long-term emotional distress, or more recent events in the client’s life. Using targeted methods to address the specific concerns of the individual, anxiety and depressive symptoms can be greatly reduced in a relatively short time. This treatment frees the client from the emotional distress and generates a greater sense of inner strength and psychological well-being.
2. Anxiety / Depression that are related to the IBS are addressed. Living with IBS creates a high level of anxiety in many sufferers and the negative impacts on daily functioning can exacerbate depressive symptoms. Fear of being unable to control bowel movements can often keep sufferers housebound, and the longer this continues the greater the likelihood of associated anxiety and depression increasing. As the body and mind respond to the treatment, symptoms are naturally and gently reduced, and a calmer, more positive mental state naturally occurs.
Can hypnotherapy help me regulate my diet?
Hypnotherapy is effective in helping IBS sufferers to improve their eating habits and create a healthier gut.
Often poor eating habits are related to emotional issues that can be addressed with hypnosis.
Hypnotherapy also helps the unconscious mind to accept that this new, healthier eating habit is the new normal, making change so much easier.
I have successfully treated many clients with IBS.
Call today on 0409 803 696 to discuss your own individual circumstances and discover how I can help you to overcome this distressing and uncomfortable condition.
* Disclaimer: Hypnotherapy results vary from person to person. Services provided by Change in Mind are not intended as a substitute for medical advice or treatment. Each client should consult their GP for medical advice and for any symptoms that may require medical intervention.